Try the tropical rum-based Hurricane cocktail
The Hurricane cocktail is a must-have iconic drink, that will transport you right to Bourbon Street. It is a double serving of rum and pairing of passion fruit and orange juices. This fruity-boozy drink may look complex but is actually quite easy to make.
The drink was invented and became popular at Pat O’Brien’s bar in 1940s New Orleans. In the ’40s, Pat O’Brien served the original Hurricanes in Hurricane lamp shaped glasses and gave them away to sailors. They proved to be successful and are still an attraction at the original Pat O’Brien’s today. The drink is served in a Hurricane glass, the tall, curved, and alarmingly wide vessel inspired by the hurricane lamp. This style continues to be known as a hurricane glass.
· 2 oz Light rum
· 2 oz Dark rum
· 1 oz Fresh lime juice
· 1 oz Orange juice
· 2 oz Passion fruit purée
· 1/2 oz Simple syrup
· 1 tablespoon Grenadine
· Garnish: Orange wheel, maraschino cherry
1. Gather all the ingredients.
2. Add all ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake well.
3. Shake well, until the outside of the shaker tin becomes frosty.
4. Strain into a large Hurricane glass over fresh ice.
5. Garnish with an orange half-wheel and a maraschino cherry.
6. Serve and enjoy!