This fantastic gin classic is a slight sky-blue hue by the addition of an ever-elusive liqueur – Crème de Violet. This old-fashioned drink requires the combination of gin, cherry, violets, and lemon offers a refined and fascinating flavor that is unique in the cocktail world. Aviation is a hard to resist drink that was once forgotten, but has made a comeback in the past decade at fancy cocktail bars.The original Aviation cocktail was first published in Hugo R. Ensslin’s 1916 “Recipes for Mixed Drinks”. This easy gin-based drink is one to get the party started and is ready in just 5 minutes. So, let’s say a welcome back to the drink. Cheers!
- 2 ounces gin
- 1/2 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 1/2 ounce crème de violette or crème yvette
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice (fresh)
- Garnish: brandied cherry, flames lemon peel
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a brandied cherry or a flamed lemon peel.
- Serve and enjoy!