Do you love a scotch cocktail? A cocktail that has ginger, spice and everything nice? Well, then penicillin drink is for you. The drink was born in the early 2000s by Sam Ross, a bartender who took the elements of the Gold Rush cocktail (bourbon, lemon, and honey), made it with blended Scotch, then added equal parts honey syrup and sweetened ginger juice. He finished the drink with a float of peaty Scotch, and boom penicillin was born.
The name means that it’s a bit of a cure-all mainly because it takes three flavors common in cough drops and herbal remedies—honey, lemon, and ginger. This innovative drink is a scotch whiskey based sour drink with honey as a sweetener and small amount of ginger to make it a perfect comfort drink!
- 2 oz Blended scotch
- 3/4 oz Fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 oz Honey-ginger syrup
- Ice cubes
- 1 oz Islay single-malt scotch
- Garnish: Candied ginger
- Mix the blended scotch, juice and syrup into a shaker with ice and shake well.
- Strain into ice-chilled rocks glass.
- Top with the Islay scotch.
- Garnish with a piece of candied ginger.
- Serve and enjoy!