Bloody Mary is an iconic cocktail, that is also referred to as a ‘hangover remedy’. The drinks’ ingredients include vodka, tomato juice, and other spices and flavorings including Worcestershire sauce, hot sauces, garlic, herbs, horseradish, celery, olives, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, lime juice and/or celery salt.
1. January 1st is known as National Bloody Mary Day.
2. Fernand Petiot, a French bartender created Bloody Mary in the early 1920s. At that time, he was working at Harry’s New York Bar in Paris. But then the Prohibition came and Petiot moved to Manhattan where he took the drink with him and added a bit of flavor (Tabasco Sauce, horseradish, lemon juice, celery salt).
3. Bloody Mary is a famous hangover remedy that cures heavy hangovers as it consists of vegetables and fruits to relieve body stress and make the body relaxed.
4. The name of the drink, Bloody Mary is linked with Queen Mary I of England, famous for her having fun in killing people around. Thus, the tomato juice symbolizes the blood baths she caused while the vodka stands for the way in which she brutally executed the martyrs.
Bloody Mary Recipe
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 3 ounces tomato juice
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch celery salt
- Pinch ground pepper
- Hot sauce (to taste)
- Optional: horseradish (to taste)
- Garnish: celery stalk and/or pickle spear
- Garnish: lemon wedge
How to prepare it?
Put all the liquid ingredients into a highball glass filled over ice cubes. Stir everything well and add the seasoning. Garnish with some lemon or lime and celery. Serve and enjoy!