The Blood & Sand is a classic scotch-based cocktail, inspired by the movie Blood and Sand in 1922. The recipe first appeared in 1930 in “The Savoy Cocktail Book” by Harry Craddock and has stayed with its magic touch ever since.
Fruity and only faintly smoky, it’s an approachable drink for people who aren’t sure they like Scotch. The main ingredients of the classic are freshly squeezed orange and Cherry Heering is a great alternative for the brandy as it has much more natural cherry flavor than other brandies. The “blood” represents Heering cherry liqueur, and the “sand” is for the orange juice.
- 3/4 oz Scotch whisky
- 3/4 oz Sweet vermouth
- 3/4 oz Heering cherry liqueur
- 3/4 oz Fresh orange juice
- Garnish: Orange peel or orange wheel
- Combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake well.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass or martini glass.
- Garnish with an orange peel or orange wheel.