Did you know according to The National Clinical Audit of Anxiety and Depression (NCAAD), 100,000 persons die each year from alcohol-related causes: drinking and driving crashes, other accidents, alcohol-related homicides, and suicides?
The list of facts has just started and there’s more to it. We’ve come up with top 10 mind-boggling facts on alcohol.
- The word “brandy” is derived from the Dutch word “brandewijn”, meaning “burnt wine. It is the wine that has been distilled over the fire. Later, it came to be known as Brandywine which was shortened to brandy.
- Older wine doesn’t always mean better wine! The aging of wine depends on several factors and if it doesn’t get the type of environment it wants, wine might even taste bad after a certain period.
- Eliminating the harsh foot smell or getting rid of an unpleasant smell from your clothes Vodka always comes to the rescue. However, overdoing it might stain the material. Vodka kills odor-causing bacteria but doesn’t leave a smell when dry.
- Cenosillicaphobia is known as the fear of an empty beer glass. Many people suffer from this especially cruel fear.
- Teens who start drinking before age 15 years are 5 times more likely to grow alcohol dependence in the future than those who begin drinking at or after the legal age of 21.
- It takes 6 minutes for changes in brain cells to react to alcohol. According to studies, a glass of drink can quickly go to one’s head.
- Alcohol doesn’t make you forget anything. When you get blackout drunk, the brain temporarily primarily loses the ability to create memories.
- Alcohol is not digested, rather it avoids the process of digestion and gets absorbed in the bloodstream. 20% of alcohol is absorbed in the stomach and 80% in the small intestines.
- An average glass of champagne forms some one million bubbles, due to the dissolved carbon dioxide which forms in the wine due to a second fermentation process that occurs during production inside the sealed bottles.
- Despite being mostly lawful, alcohol is a drug. It is a depressant drug that means though people drink it with joy and to relax it slows down various sections of the brain and central nervous system.